Tis the season to… automate healthcare.
We can all agree that the automation of any task or operation is extremely convenient and almost what we’ve come to expect wherever we are provided a service, but if there’s one place (industry) in particular where automation is not just nice to have but actually necessary it’s in the healthcare industry. We’re no longer talking about customer service or experiences, but patient care.
In most countries, receiving medical attention is an extremely tedious process, mostly due to the back operations that check insurance coverages and allowances for the patient. Making any part of this process swift and seamless should be a priority globally, especially when people’s health and wellbeing are at stake. There are many areas where intelligent process automation (IPA) can become the new norm in healthcare including but not limited to: account management, claims processing, underwriter support, customer support, billing, collections, reconciliation, and reporting and analytics consolidation.
- Account Management: everything that includes account-related activities from sorting through the eligibility process, enrollment periods, coverage and benefits, account setup, etc.
- Customer Service: insurance claims in the United States in particular are a lengthy and often discouraging process due to disparities in market offerings and cost of care and medication. Claim adjudications and processing and especially appeals are some of the most tiresome processes that robotics process automation could really help improve.
- Provider system administration: provider credentials, data management, contracting audits, and network management are some of the back-end areas that would also be impacted by a proper IPA implementation, and expedite the experience for the patients as well.
- Administration and operations: finance, accounting, and training are obvious day-to-day operative tasks that will undoubtedly also help accelerate the process of finding a solution by running smoothly and efficiently.
Seeing the categories that are easily automated is one thing, but there’s also hard data of a study that yielded some very impressive metrics that show the benefits of implementing robotics into healthcare:
- Membership tripled – Membership went from 35,000 to 100,000 in five years
- Clean claims processing reduced by 90 percent – processed within five business days, reduced from 30 days. Additionally, all claims were processed in 30 days, down from 45.
And many more that took just hours to see the impact. Process automation is driving the next stage of transformation at affordable costs, with a possibility to increase savings up to 50%.
With incredible savings and operational excellence, not much else is needed to make the case for automation in healthcare, but the most important benefit of a well-rounded IPA strategy in the industry is population health and wellness. It’s ironic that by increasing robotic intervention the focus can be completely on the humans, and technologies like remote monitoring are making it possible to even care for patients at a distance. Regardless of what side of the healthcare provision chain your business is in, there’s not only a place but an actual need to jumpstart the automation process, and we can help with that. Contact us for an assessment of your company’s infrastructure to see how you can leverage Lagash solutions and lead the charge in complete healthcare automation. As said by Peter Nichol in this piece, “robotic process automation isn’t coming soon; it’s here.”